Friday, August 3, 2012

Breakfast Cookie + Glucerna Shake

Is this a good healthy breakfast?

I found a breakfast cookie recipe in Martha Stewart Living magazine this month. The ingredients look a lot like my granola recipe except it calls for 1 cup of olive oil and 1.5 cups of maple syrup compared to the cookie recipe which has 4 sticks of butter  and 3 cups of brown sugar. ( I thought that was way too much sugar even though the recipe calls for 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 2 cups of white flour and 2 cups of rolled oats. So I used Coconut Crystals for the last cup of sugar when I realized after tasting the dough that just 2 cups of brown sugar wasn't enough)  The important thing is that Riley doesn't eat my granola even if I put chocolate chips in it, but he does eat the breakfast cookies.

The recipe calls for all kinds of dried fruits. I eliminated them and used cinnamon chips. I did however add handfulls of flax seeds and wheat germ.

This recipe makes a huge amount of cookies. I've gotten 30 so far and I'm a little more than half way through the dough. I haven't figured out the carbs yet. For now I am counting them as a regular cookie (15 gr).

Glucerna shake. 15 grams of carbs. He's been drinking these as his breakfast for the past few days. I think because he wakes up late (around 9 or 10 am), drinks the shake without covering with insulin, then eats lunch around 11:30 or noon. I've warned him that when school starts in a few weeks he will need to eat something with the shake like breakfast cookies and a banana.  This is what he did this morning and it seemed to work well with a couple units of insulin.

3 comments:

katy said...

I make breakfast cookies too, certain the flax chia walnut components override the maple syrup and chocolate! I look forward to trying your/Martha's version.

I half gave up on coconut sugar crystals but you've inspired me to get back inthe game.

Thank you for this! Every post is a treat.

katy said...

OMG. I read the recipe. Is Martha high? It says it makes 8 cookies. 8! Half a stick of butter per cookie? I'll be making them your size fer shur. Holy moly, Marth.

Bonni said...

Two things. Yes she is high. I think her recipe said one cup or 1/2 cup of dough per cookie! And you maybe the one I got coconut crystals idea from. I bought them a while ago and have only used them in my coffee thus far. Cookies with the kitchen sink were a good place to try the crystals out for sure.
One more thing-I got sam talbot's cookbook (read abt it on ur blog). I LOVE his stories but not his recipes. Riley was like I'm not eating anything in that book, look mom there are green things with eggs, gross. Ha

The Ennis' are always looking for a new tradition to add to our family get-togethers. This blog is our newest addition. We welcome you to enjoy our goings-ons as much as we are.
Click on the 1st video to view 8/9 VLOG
Click on the 2nd video to view 7/31 VLOG
*NEW* Click on the 3rd video to view 9/14 VLOG